Friday, May 4, 2012

Star Wars

So as you all know, today is May 4th.  Everyone is saying, "May the 4th be with you!"  I understand what this means because I haven't been living under a rock for the last 30 years.  What I'm about to say might shock you, so sit down.

I don't really like Star Wars.

Wow, I know.  This is one of the most universally loved movies of all time and it's really just not for me.  I enjoy the Yoda talk and the "Do or do not, there is no try".  I like that stuff, don't get me wrong.  However, am beginning to understand how lucky I've been to have two daughters, because boys lose their minds for all things Star Wars.  My nephews live for all the Lego sets and I don't know a single penis owner who doesn't love a good light saber.  It's a phenomenon really.

 Sidenote: I hate Lego messes and I empathize with all the Lego moms out there who are constantly stepping on Legos and trying hard not to swear.  We have two girly Lego sets and the tiny pieces get everywhere and it's ruining my life.  I see the appeal, but it's just a mess.  Dave LOVES Legos and he's thrilled that they've come out with a girly take on them.  I think he had resigned to a Lego-less life when he realized both kids were girls.  Wrong!  The girls love them too......

It's a whole different world with two girls.  Everything is princess, evening gowns, jewelery, Hello Kitty and Barbie.  Pink rules supreme and wedding planning begins in Kindergarten.  Sasha has all her children named for goodness sake.  Just the other night she heard a song that we love and asked me who sings it.  I told her the singer is named Ellie Goulding and Sasha's eyes lit up with surprise.  "What is it?" I asked her.  She smiled and laughed and said, "That is so neat because I named one of my eggs Ellie!"  That's right, my child has already began naming the eggs lying dormant in her tiny little ovaries. 

Sasha has an egg allergy (chicken eggs).  One day she was riding her bike in the driveway and she stopped suddenly, looked directly at me and said, "I'm not allergic to the baby eggs in my belly!".   That was all.  After that interesting proclamation,she climbed back up on her bike and continued riding.  This is my life with two girls.

All this being said, let me get back to my original point.  Men and boys love all things Star Wars, so you'd think there would be an entire generation of kids with Star Wars names.  I don't know a single Leia or an Anakin.  Luke is a normal name and I hear it a lot, but not with the Skywalker connection.   The Elementary schools are bursting at the seams with weirdo names, but I've yet to meet young Vader or an adorable little Amidala.  I don't understand it at all.   Where are the Star Wars kids?

1 comment:

  1. Let me tell you I fight Darin HARD to not have those Star Wars names for my kids. I think every man is a closet Star Wars fan. They really would like to name their kids that but it would succumb to the geekdome and that is just taking it too far. At least that is what I'd like to think. Love the egg naming. made me chuckle.

    ReplyDelete