Friday, March 9, 2012

Working at the Bar!

What's better than serving food and drinks for $5 a table? Serving ONLY drinks for $10 a table. What's better than dealing with coherent people? Dealing exclusively with drunk people! What's better than going to the bar when you're 21? Getting paid to work there!
Welcome to the wonderful world of cocktail waitressing! This was one of my top jobs of all time but the timing of landing this job was the absolute worst. I found my perfect night job, just as I found my best boyfriend of all time (the future hubby). So just as I figured out how to profit from my love of the night life, I met the guy who would make me prefer staying home at night. For the first time in my young life, I didn't want to go out at night, I just wanted to spend as much time as possible with my man. It wasn't a great situation for Dave either. I'm sure it didn't warm his heart knowing I was collecting cash at the meat market a few nights a week. This was an absolute disaster in timing.


I'm not going to lie, the money was fantastic! I was amazed at how easily it was earned and I was doing so much less work than I had been when I was serving food and drinks. The folks at the bar were just so easy to please and they didn't seem to mind parting with their hard earned cash every time I delivered them a drink. Remember now that there is no such thing as a "free refill" at the bar. This fact alone made working there wonderful! It was amazing. And as the alcohol took effect, it only got easier. This simple gig was handmade for me. I'm quick, efficient and I don't need to be drinking to have a good time at the bar. This, sadly enough, was my dream job! I had no aspirations beyond this perfect set up. But like I said before, I had met the guy for me and the pull was too strong. I couldn't continue doing hair all day and serving drinks all night. I was rolling in cash at this point and I wish it could have gone on longer, but I had to make some time for Dave. It all worked out in the end, but seriously it was hard to stop working at a job that was so perfect. Now a days, people can't smoke in Utah bars and the job only looks better now. But I'm past my prime for work like that. I'm a mom now. My kids go to bed at 7:30 and I'm dead tired by 10:30. I haven't been awake to ring in the new year since 2005. Life is so different now, and I love where I'm at, but I still have such happy memories from my brief stint as a bar maid. I only wish I had discovered this gem of a job sooner. Don't knock it til you've tried it on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment