Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Take a look around

I'm having one of those rare moments where I'm basically home alone, except Lyla is actually just upstairs napping. I just walked into my quiet kitchen and took a look around. It just sort of hit me all at once, that I created everything I see. There are so many bits and pieces, but this home was created by me. I didn't frame the walls, or lay the floors. I didn't build the house of course, but I made it into a home for my family. I bought the flour jar, the coffee maker. I remember the day I found these rugs online and the afternoon I found my kitchen table at Costco of all places. I hunted for that couch for months and it cost a fortune and wouldn't you know it, I hate it! I made the pillows, those are totally me and I love them, but the couch isn't what I'd hoped it would be. But like I said, it cost more money than it should have, so I'm stuck with it for a long time. Never buy a couch when you're VERY pregnant.....take my word.
It is so strange to feel so young, but then realize how much of a life I've already built for myself. Every single thing in this house was most likely chosen and brought into my home by me. It's strange to look around and really try to remember why you bought each decorative thing you own. My memory isn't always the greatest, but if I really focus and think about it, I can conjure up the day, place and circumstance in which I chose all these little things that have made my house a home. It all looks so complicated and time consuming, but it all happened one thing at a time. Do I need all this? No. It's overwhelming to think that one day I'll have to pack it all up and move it. Isn't it strange how surrounding yourself with items that you find visually pleasing can make you feel comfortable. I like coming home to my space, with my stuff. It isn't even close to perfect, but it's my little stamp on this house and it makes it my home. Walk into your house and take a look around. How does it make you feel?

1 comment:

  1. To answer your question at the end: it makes me feel like a lazy cleaner!!

    ReplyDelete