Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Diggity Dawn


I am in awe of the power of Dawn dish washing liquid. It's almost too much power and it's slightly terrifying. Make no mistake here, I don't wash dishes by hand. I am very much addicted to the dishwasher. How could I do it nearly as well as the machine who's only purpose is to clean dishes? I don't know exactly what goes on in there, but I know it gets VERY hot and I believe extremely high heat is probably important to good dish washing.
I use the Dawn occasionally to soak pans and the like. But Pinterest has me interested in using it for other household cleaning endeavours. There's a pin that suggests mixing Dawn and vinegar in a spray bottle and using it for cleaning your shower. The idea sounds good to me. When I clean that sucker with chemicals, I feel like I've been sentenced to the gas chamber for a crime I didn't commit. So I wanted to try this cleaning idea, but something was holding me back.
A few years ago I had a Dawn incident. It was more of a catastrophe. I started my dishwasher one night and left the kitchen. When I returned about 20 minutes later, my kitchen looked like a scene from a cheesy movie. The floor in front of the dishwasher was covered in bubbles. My dishwasher was oozing bubbles like crazy. I of course panicked. I opened the dishwasher, to stop it and stood there with absolutely no clue what to do next. I had no idea why this had happened and I was also puzzled about how to drain the dishwasher and it's abundance of suds. I figured out the draining part, after much swearing, but I was still so confused as to why it had happened. The thought of my dear friend the dishwasher being broken was devastating.
That's when I saw the culprit sitting on the kitchen counter. I (but I'm sure I blamed Dave) had put way to much Dawn on a pan and I didn't really rinse it before placing it in the dishwasher. Dawn makes bubbles.....tons of freaking bubbles.
As you can imagine, the bottle of Dawn found it's final resting place in my trash can and I swore I'd never let her in my home again. She was far stronger than I had ever known and I had clearly underestimated her bubble making power. Even passing a bottle of it in the grocery store brought on a little panic.
But I'm older now and hopefully smarter and more responsible, so I purchased my first bottle since "the incident" and tried this vinegar/Dawn cleaning mix and it was awesome. I sprayed it all over and let Dawn do the job for me. I could breathe normally while rinsing it and I'm glad I got over my fear. Thank you Pinterest.

No comments:

Post a Comment