Friday, April 20, 2012

Crazy Mike

So, as you all now know, I worked at that little Italian restaurant for many years.  So it may not come as a surprise that I met a few fellas while waitressing there.  Just like with all the families that came in every week, I also got to know different guys who would come in and pick up their pizzas and come in and eat with their friends.  Just more "regulars".  There was nothing more fun than working with your friends and having a regular "hottie" come in.  It really is the little things in life, isn't it.
There was a small group of guys that I saw really often.  I was almost always their waitress and I always had fun chatting them up.  I never was  a shy gal and I always enjoyed the nights that they'd come in.  There was one guy in particular that I got along with very well, Mike.  He was a handsome guy and he seemed very flirty.  I loved it......and so did my co-workers.

So one night after this group of guys has been in, I go out to my Jeep after work, and find a hand written note on my car.  It's from adorable Mike and he's given me his number and written something to the effect of "we should hang out sometime."  I was working with my best friend that night and I walked back into the restaurant with the note and I'm sure we squealed like school girls (we were seniors in high school, so we had every right to squeal like school girls). 
Always eager to find out what would happen next, I didn't wait long to call him.  We talked for a while and it was nice because we obviously already got along and I already knew that I thought he was pretty cute.  It's good to keep in mind that I had the ability to find almost ANYONE cute at that age.  A heartbeat and a touch of charisma was all it took for me to see the "cute" in a guy.  I wasn't always swinging for the fences.........a bunt would do.  I just wanted exciting weekend plans and a good story to report back to my best friend, because even then I loved the story.

So Mike and I decided we would go out the next weekend.  In the meantime, I broke my hand during a game of basketball with my guy friends.  I called Mike during the week and let him know this.  I didn't know what our date would entail, but I now had a cast cramping my style.

So it is finally the day of the date.  I call Mike in the late afternoon to see what time we are meeting, because we don't live anywhere near each other.  Everything seems normal and then out of nowhere Mike says the strangest thing I'd ever heard.  He said, "I can't do this.  I just.... I just can't do this."  If I would have had one of those comic book bubbles above my head it would have been filled with question marks??????  I was like , "WHAT?????".  He seemed suddenly flustered and followed up his first strange statement with one that I will NEVER forget.
"You're just too much."
I'm not gonna lie, I was offended and furious.  I didn't tell him this.  The conversation was over at that point.  I mean, where do you go from that statement?  I didn't even know what that meant.  I obviously called my best friend and we rehashed it over and over.  Only now, instead of being Mike, he became Crazy Mike.

As an adult, I totally get it now.  And he was so right.  I was too much and I still am too much.  I was born this way.  But that's fine, because too much can be awesome if that's what you're looking for.  I love "too much".  In hindsight, I'm impressed that a 21 year old guy could recognize that in someone.  It sucked at the time though.  I didn't get my exciting weekend plans, but I did get a story.

You can imagine what would happen in subsequent Crazy Mike sitings at the restaurant.  "Can I refill your Coke, or would that be too much?"

No comments:

Post a Comment