Tuesday, July 31, 2012

My Favorite Stories.......

.....Are the ones that no one's telling. 
When people are asked what super power they'd most like to have it's usually X-ray vision, or the ability to fly.  I would want the ability to hear what someone is really thinking instead of the words that they are saying.  That would be awesome for me.  I'm tired of hearing what people think they're supposed to say.   I want the unedited version.

Imagine someone droning on about how deliriously happy they are, and you're getting to hear the truth instead.  '"Your mother in-law is a what????"  "Your husband said WHAT???"  "Your jerky kid did what???"   O.M.G. I would love it.  It seems like society in general is under the impression that you are your own publicist and ONLY the positive rumors will be confirmed.  It makes sense.  I understand that everyone one wants to seem better than they really are, but cut the bullshit already.  Let's hear the honest truth. That story is WAY more interesting than the edited report that you hear from most people.  Every one's marriage is super duper!  Of course it is!  That's why half of all marriages end in divorce!  Every one's kids are super easy to care for. Of course they are, I mean we all know raising kids is a breeze.   I read a blog the other day, about this lady with six kids (all under the age of 10) and she is just deliriously happy and not the least bit stressed out.  And guess what....her hubby is absolute perfection!  I don't mean to be a hater, but come on.  I care for two kids and a man child and even that is a bit much.   If you have six young kids (no nanny) and your days are stress free, you are doing it wrong or your pills are AMAZING (can I get your dealers pager number?)

But that's life right.  This is why we all have to have a few best friends.  That's where all the good stuff is being leaked.  That's where you really get a better feel for what's "normal" and what's really going on behind closed doors.  I have some great friends and I have the added advantage of being a hair stylist to some awesome women.  I've had the privilege of hearing some of the juiciest stuff ever in the salon.  I've watched real life soap operas play out over many years.  Maybe this is one of the reasons why I love doing hair.   The hairdresser/ client relationship is amazing.  Trust develops fast and friendships come naturally.  The secrets you tell your hairdresser are kept in the vault for life.  I vividly recall sharing some of my juiciest tales with my old stylist Kim.  I don't know if it's the chair or the light chemical aroma in the air, but hair salons are the equivalent of truth serum.  It all comes out and it's a relief to hear.  I can't tell you how comforting it is to hear that other people share your struggles.  It's nice hearing that your husband isn't the only one who acts like your overgrown spare child.  It's nice knowing that the kids that you love can be a real pain in the ass.  I enjoy truth filled tales of real women's lives.  I love hearing both the good AND the bad.  It's refreshing.

No comments:

Post a Comment