Monday, July 9, 2012

Disney Channel Has Poisoned My Mind

I picked up a new book for myself at the library last week.  It's called One Day and it's the story of a relationship told only by what happens on July 15th of each year.  I'm half way through it and so far it's not a love story, just the evolution of a friendship between a guy and a girl.  They both have feelings for each other, but the timing hasn't been right yet for it to really blossom into anything more.  It isn't what I was expecting it to be, but I really like the book and the writing style.  I'm just having one teeny tiny problem.  I'm picturing the main characters, Emma and Dex, as Austin and Ally, the from the Disney channel show Austin and Ally. 


This is obviously a huge problem for me.  On the first page of the book, the characters are graduating from college, and they only get older from that point on,  so why am I picturing these obnoxious  17 year olds?  I'll tell you why.  It's because my mind has been poisoned by the Disney channel. My oldest daughter LOVES this show and we watch daily.  The T.V. is right by the kitchen, so even when I'm not watching the show.......I'm still seeing these two constantly.

Despite the fact that these crazy kids are not at all what the author had in mind when writing the book, I conjured them up when reading it and what's done is done.  I can't overcome this mental image.  I feel like Ally might work if she was older.  I'm trying my best to age these two a bit and it's sort of working, but still, I wish I didn't think of them every time I read the book.  Once I've imagined what my book characters look like, there is no going back.  Try as I might to change my own mind about them, it can't be done.  There is no "delete image" button in this mind of mine.  So I'll finish the book picturing these kids as thirty year olds.  It's going to get wicked awkward, but I'll push through.

On an unrelated side note.  My daughter thinks Austin is so cute.  She just can't get enough of these super white boys.  Even at her school, she's always pointing out the tiniest, translucent boys with their white hair and telling me how adorable they are.  It cracks me up to see that at age six she already has a very clear idea of what pleases her eye.  I wonder if it will stay this way or change as she gets older.  Time will tell.  It's a riot watching your kids personality slowly emerge.

No comments:

Post a Comment