Monday, July 2, 2012

Joy in the Little Things

I ALWAYS say that it's the little things in life.  You really have to find joy in the little, simple, day to day things if you want to live a happy life.  You're probably not going to make it very far in life if your only joy comes from a yearly vacation or the butterflies of falling in love.  You have to take time to recognize the little things in your life and relish in them when you get the chance.
Most of mine are really simple and might be horribly dull to someone else, but that's exactly what makes them  a unique source of joy for me.  A great example would be my Friday afternoon ritual of going to the mail box and retrieving my fresh episode of US Weekly.  A subscription to a gossip magazine is a completely unnecessary expense.  I look at it as a major money splurge, but I get so much joy from walking out to the mailbox and finding a new magazine in there once a week.  It's my only magazine subscription and I cherish it.  I don't want to read it online.  I love all the pictures and I love staying completely up to date on all the latest pop culture stories.  I read it cover to cover every week.   My brain has a unique ability to store all this information in a permanent file.  I don't know why, but I have to appreciate that my brain does that.  I hope to find a way to cash in on this talent one day.  Don't get me wrong, I wish I could store really important information this way, but my brain refuses to keep the other stuff.  It loves holding on to celeb baby names.  I don't fight it, I enjoy it!  
The next little joy is currently my favorite part of my life.  Right before I go to bed at night,  I get my three year old daughter out of  her bed and take her for a quick potty break.  I pick up my sleeping baby and she hangs on to me like a little koala bear.  Her three hours of sleep has already given her major bed head and her wild hair is only adding to her charm.  She rests her sleepy head on my shoulder and I carry her tiny body to the bathroom, smelling her adorable sleep smell on her neck.  Her room is a little further away from the bathroom, so the walk is a bit longer than it was a my old house with my older daughter.  I love that the distance from her room to the bathroom is longer.  It makes the moment last longer and  I LOVE this moment in my day.  I mean I absolutely treasure it.  It's one of the things that I will miss so much when she gets older.  I don't even know if she really needs me to do this for her, but I wouldn't miss it for the world.

Great photo that I found on Pinterest.  This says it all.

I don't really remember having that moment with my older daughter.  I'm sure it's because I was already getting up in the middle of the night with a hungry baby and I was probably rushing to get Sasha in and out of the bathroom.  I was probably really tired and VERY ready for a solid stretch of sleep.  I'm so glad I get to enjoy this moment with my three year old.  I hate thinking that this time in my life is so temporary.  I'm like any other parent, I can get very short patiented with my kids.  There are plenty of days when I'm counting the seconds until their bedtime, but after fifteen minutes of quiet time, my patience is restored and I'm ready for more.  Maybe this is why I love the late night potty break.  There are no distractions.  It's just a wonderful moment that I get to enjoy with my peaceful little girl.  JOY in the little things!

No comments:

Post a Comment