Tuesday, January 17, 2012

The Bachelor

I love watching the Bachelor. Believe it or not, this is not one of my SHAME shows. I watch it with pride and I wake up Monday morning with a smile on my face, because I am so pumped that it's Bachelor Monday! My husband loves this day too. He likes the show, but he loves to watch me watch the show. I am totally in my element. It's just great T.V. The women are trying to impress and be on their best behavior, but they can only put on the show for so long, and then shit gets real. Women aren't crazy, they are emotional and it's real. They go on this show and they want to find "love", but more than anything they want to WIN. The lines get crossed so completely. The type of women that ends up on the show are usually in their mid-twenties and most of them have never been married and they still believe so intensely in the fairytale of it all. It's like they've been window shopping for love and marriage. They've all seen what they think it looks like and what they think it must feel like, but they've never been in the store, so they don't really know what it is that they are shopping for. They've never felt if the fabric is soft or itchy? Does is smell nice or does it stink like silk? Most importantly, does it fit? Could you live in this beautiful thing you've seen through the window? They don't know, and they don't care. They want to be chosen. It sounds so stupid and so competitive, but that's all it is. They just want this one man to chose them instead of the other 24 girls. They want to feel special. EVERY woman everywhere wants to feel special. Singled out as "the one". I sit at home (with my husband no less) and giggle as I watch it happening, but I understand what they are looking for. The fact that there are 25 women to one man makes it extreme and over-the-top and ultimately VERY ENTERTAINING. The women are basically trying to sell themselves (not like prostitutes) and their best qualities to this man, just hoping that they will be chosen. To be chosen on television is the ultimate prize. It tells every ex-boyfriend, every old crush, every bitch from your high school that you are valuable. You are worthy. You are SPECIAL. Now try not to watch that. It's hard to turn away.
The next spin off show should absolutely be about what happens AFTER you are chosen.... That's when it really gets interesting. Are you glad this dude chose you? That show would be called "Married Life. Am I certain this is what I wanted?"

1 comment:

  1. "On a scale of one to ten, I feel like throwing up."

    Favorite quote from last night's Bachelor!

    ReplyDelete