Monday, August 27, 2012

First Day of School

My first grader is awesome.... precocious, mouthy and hilarious, but mostly awesome.  Today is her first day of all day school and she was cool as a cucumber when I dropped her off at her classroom door.  Yes, that's right, I did walk her to her classroom.  You'd think at six years old that she would want me to do this, but she did not.  She asked me very sweetly if I would let her go by herself, and maybe she'd consider letting me walk her into school tomorrow.   I refused this request, not because I want to humiliate her, but because there is nothing quite like the first day.  Tomorrow,  all day school will be old news, but today it's all new.  I wanted the photo op.  I made her a darling first day of school dress and there was no way in hell I was going to miss the photo op.  My child was pleasantly surprised to see that most of the first grade parents felt the exact same way as myself.  The first grade hallway was practically a red carpet.  There were flash bulbs going off left and right.  The paparazzi parents were EVERYWHERE! So I got my shots and got the opportunity to make certain that she got into her new classroom on time.

 
The other reason I walked her into her school was to deliver the truck load of school supplies that her teacher requested.   Of course they wanted the basics: markers, pencils, glue sticks and tissues boxes, but this year there was another interesting request.  They wanted 2 reams of copy paper....per kid!  So this means that my worst nightmare has been confirmed.  My kid will be bringing home 100 papers a day for me to stress about.  What gets recycled?   What gets saved and why are we saving it?  What gets put in a pile that will cause me horrible hoarder anxiety?   Why has a forest been decimated to produce all this freaking unnecessary paper?  When will I ever learn how to spell the word 'Necessary' without the spell check safety net?

No comments:

Post a Comment